Litho printing is a popular printing process used to produce high-quality, large-scale prints for a variety of applications. It’s widely used in the printing industry due to its versatility, durability and cost-effectiveness. In this blog, we will explore what litho printing is, what makes a good litho printer and the benefits of using litho printing.
What is Litho Printing?
Litho printing, also known as offset printing, is a printing process that uses a printing plate to transfer an inked image onto a rubber blanket, which then transfers the image onto paper or other printing materials. The process is called lithography, which refers to the use of a lithographic stone as the printing plate. However, as technology develops, litho printing has also become more technical. Nowadays, modern litho printing uses aluminium plates instead of stones, which are easy to clean, reusable and durable.
The litho printing process is ideal for producing high-quality, large-scale prints with crisp, sharp details and vibrant colours. It’s commonly used for printing magazines, newspapers, brochures, oversized posters and other large-scale promotional materials.
What makes a good Litho Printer?
A good litho printer should have the following qualities:
- Experience: A good litho printer should have years of experience in the printing industry. They should have a deep understanding of the litho printing process, as well as the different materials, inks and equipment used in the process.
- Attention to Detail: Litho printing requires a high level of precision and attention to detail. A good litho printer should be meticulous and pay close attention to every detail, from the design of the printing plates to the final print.
- Quality Control: Quality control is critical in litho printing. A good litho printer should have strict quality control procedures in place to ensure that every print meets the highest standards of quality.
- State-of-the-Art Equipment: Litho printing requires advanced equipment and machinery to produce high-quality prints. A good litho printer should have state-of-the-art equipment that’s well-maintained and regularly updated.
- Customer Service: A good litho printer should provide excellent customer service, from the initial consultation to the final delivery of the printed materials. They should be responsive, communicative, and willing to work closely with the customer to ensure their needs are met. Speaking of which – got a question? Our helpful team would be happy to answer it! Contact us!
Benefits of Litho Printing
There are several benefits to using litho printing, including:
- High-Quality Prints: Litho printing produces high-quality prints with crisp, sharp details and vibrant colours. The prints are durable and can withstand wear and tear, making them ideal for long-term use.
- Cost-Effective: Litho printing is cost-effective, especially for large-scale print runs. The process is efficient, and the cost per print decreases as the print run increases.
- Versatility: Litho printing can be used to print on a variety of materials, including paper, cardboard, plastic, and metal. This versatility makes it an ideal printing process for a wide range of applications.
- Customization: Litho printing allows for a high degree of customization, from the size and shape of the print to the colours and finishes used. This makes it an ideal printing process for businesses looking to create unique and eye-catching prints.
- Eco-Friendly: Litho printing is an eco-friendly printing process, as it uses soy-based inks and produces minimal waste. This makes it an ideal printing process for businesses looking to reduce their environmental impact.
Litho printing is a powerful printing process that can benefit businesses of all sizes. It produces high-quality, large-scale prints that are durable, cost-effective and versatile. A good litho printer should have years of experience, pay close attention to detail, have strict quality control procedures in place, use state-of-the-art equipment and provide excellent customer service. With over 30 years’ experience, our family-run business in Southampton operates entirely under one roof. With so much experience, a dedicated team and a localised business centre (so no waiting for middle-men), we are confident we can tend to all your litho printing needs.
Unsure if your printed product should be digitally or lithographically printed? Chat to of our experts!